4 lamb shanks (240g each)
Freshly ground black pepper
6 fresh thyme sprigs
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
Zest of one lemon peeled in large strips
2 garlic cloves, halved
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 bottle full-bodied red wine
0.5 cup plain flour
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups lamb stock or chicken stock
4-6 pickling onions, peeled
3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
12 large green Spanish olives
12 dried apricots
1. Put shanks in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add herbs, spices and sugar. Add wine , cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
2. Remove shanks from marinade, reserve liquid. Pat meat dry with paper towels. Dredge in seasoned flour and pat off the excess.
3. Put a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is almost smoking, add lamb, in batches if needed and cook until they are a caramel brown (7-10 minutes).
4. Add marinade to pot, bring to a simmer, cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
5. Pour in stock, onions, carrots, olives and apricots. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, simmer until meat is falling off the bone, 11/2 to 2 hours.
6. Transfer to a large platter. Strain the braising juices and season. Pour sauce over and serve with bread. Serves 4